Hop timing

cowboy7307

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Iam converting a recipe from a 60 min boil to a 30 min boil

recipe asks for a 60 min of one hop and a 30 min of the other hop
after converting the 60 min amount of hops to the rate needed for the 30 min boil

Do i boil both hops for 30 min (I think i will )
Hope its not a stupid question

Iam converting a recipe from a 60 min boil to a 30 min boil

recipe asks for a 60 min of one hop and a 30 min of the other hop
after converting the 60 min amount of hops to the rate needed for the 30 min boil

Do i boil both hops for 30 min (I think i will )
Hope its not a stupid question
You would change the boil time to 30 minutes, then change the amount of hops to get your ibu level back to that of the 60 min boil

Curious why you are changing from 60 min to 30 minute boil?
If you have a 60 minute addition, you will need more of the same hop at 30 minutes to get the same bitterness contribution. This increased hop amount with a shorter exposure will also contribute more flavor. This will change the beer, which isn't a bad thing, but just so you are aware, you won't get the same result.
I typically only use a 30 minute boil in a beer that doesn't get any boil additions (NEIPA).

I use a 30 minute boil frequently, particularly when adding hops at shutoff and letting it stand for another 30 minutes before starting cooling. The BF recipe application does a good job for me in predicting IBUs. The results are good and a bit less sharp bitterness is nice. Only downside has been a little more sweetness than anticipated. Magnum hops at 30 minutes fixed that fairly well.

Back