Hi from vietnam

Brews Bros

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello ,
Hope to learn how to make good beer, already making beer for fews months. Because of the climate here all year long, I try to focus on kveik yeast... The one available here is lallemand Voss kveik. Hope to receive some support about this...great brewing to you . Oli

Welcome to Brewers Friend!
I use VOSS quite a bit, I like to ferment it high, like 39C

Welcome from another hot climate.
I use kveik Voss quite a lot, even without temperature control.
I use Lallemand and Mangrove Jack.
Where in Vietnam are you?
I visited a couple of years ago. Had a great time!

Welcome from another hot climate.
I use kveik Voss quite a lot, even without temperature control.
I use Lallemand and Mangrove Jack.
Where in Vietnam are you?
I visited a couple of years ago. Had a great time!
thanks , i m in kien giang , south vietnam

Welcome to the forum Oli! Ask us any questions you might have. We love to help. What kind of brewing setup do you have?
hello, thanks for the message, i brew with a microbrewery 52l and then i have 2 kettles 40 liters with electric .... fermentation in 40 liters platic tank, at ambiant temperature (30 degres all year long), i use bottle and i m trying keg 20 liters us.... i m a newbie , i brew more or less 200 liters week right now.... learning everyday

Wow
200 litre per week!
Hope you are not drinking it all by yourself :)

What styles of beer do you brew? What is the most popular style in southern Vietnam?

What styles of beer do you brew? What is the most popular style in southern Vietnam?
Hi bro, I looked at your profile and I can say the total opposite of what you brew... Here we are more on light and fresh beer.....Sapporo, asahi style (rice lager), German pilsner ( on the light side again), I work on a witbier and the samee with mango....now I m looking to make an American IPA but difficult to find a recipe I can clone (we don t have access to all malt , hops, yeast.....)....importation cost a lot of money because of tax so have limited choice. This week a friend of mine will enter Vietnam with a lot of protafloc for me, so now integrating protafloc.....as I said I m a newbie.....if you have a American IPA recipe you can recommend I will be happy to see if I can find all the ingredients, so I need quite simple recipe. For the hops it s not too bad, I can have 3 or 4 American hops in the classic one (cascade, citrus....) for the malt we have access to less choice but I have access to "castle malting"....really appreciate your recommendations if possible bro.

mate, please , can you tell me more about harvesting yeast (voss kveik)... ok i try to explain you, so with harvested yeast i put 100 g for 40 liters of beer... when i harvest i use always the same pot to recup... so do you think 100G is too much, do you think i can harvest indefinitely the same recycle yeast, is there a limit in this process.... do i need to separate each harvest in different pot...and if you think about something i don t know please let me know. thank you so much for your help....

Some American IPAs are made with ordinary 2-row barley malt. It is less about the malt, and all about the hops. A recipe with 30-ish IBUs is typical - 30 g magnum for bittering at 60 minutes, 30 of both cascade and citra at 10 minutes, then a dry hop of 30g each of the same on day 2 (halfway to 2/3 through) of fermentation (might be waaay sooner with kviek! Like hours!)

You can harvest yeast forever in theory. Heineken does! But one idea is to harvest a large amount from one batch, then use only a portion of that for a batch. When that runs low, harvest a new large amount, and so on. This way, you minimize the number of yeast generations. Some here will go only 3 or 4 generations before starting over. For me, yeast is inexpensive so I don't use it more than twice.

100g is not too much for 40 liters. Even 500g will not cause problems in my opinion.

Some American IPAs are made with ordinary 2-row barley malt. It is less about the malt, and all about the hops. A recipe with 30-ish IBUs is typical - 30 g magnum for bittering at 60 minutes, 30 of both cascade and citra at 10 minutes, then a dry hop of 30g each of the same on day 2 (halfway to 2/3 through) of fermentation (might be waaay sooner with kviek! Like hours!)

You can harvest yeast forever in theory. Heineken does! But one idea is to harvest a large amount from one batch, then use only a portion of that for a batch. When that runs low, harvest a new large amount, and so on. This way, you minimize the number of yeast generations. Some here will go only 3 or 4 generations before starting over. For me, yeast is inexpensive so I don't use it more than twice.

100g is not too much for 40 liters. Even 500g will not cause problems in my opinion.
Thank you so much for this explanation doctor

Hi bro, I looked at your profile and I can say the total opposite of what you brew... Here we are more on light and fresh beer.....Sapporo, asahi style (rice lager), German pilsner ( on the light side again), I work on a witbier and the samee with mango....now I m looking to make an American IPA but difficult to find a recipe I can clone (we don t have access to all malt , hops, yeast.....)....importation cost a lot of money because of tax so have limited choice. This week a friend of mine will enter Vietnam with a lot of protafloc for me, so now integrating protafloc.....as I said I m a newbie.....if you have a American IPA recipe you can recommend I will be happy to see if I can find all the ingredients, so I need quite simple recipe. For the hops it s not too bad, I can have 3 or 4 American hops in the classic one (cascade, citrus....) for the malt we have access to less choice but I have access to "castle malting"....really appreciate your recommendations if possible bro.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/928312/janet-s-brown-ale

This is my favorite American IPA. It is from the Brewing Classic Styles book by Zainasheff & Palmer. It's definitely a hoppy beer but with an FG of 1.017 the maltiness creates a nice balance with the bitterness. It's color (SRM 21; 41 EBC) put's it outside the specs for an American IPA but not by too much. I'm sure others will suggest their favorites so you'll quite the selection to choose from.

mate, please , can you tell me more about harvesting yeast (voss kveik)... ok i try to explain you, so with harvested yeast i put 100 g for 40 liters of beer... when i harvest i use always the same pot to recup... so do you think 100G is too much, do you think i can harvest indefinitely the same recycle yeast, is there a limit in this process.... do i need to separate each harvest in different pot...and if you think about something i don t know please let me know. thank you so much for your help....

I don't harvest yeast post-fermentation. If I do want to reuse yeast, I will overbuild a starter and save off some of that before pitching the rest into the wort.

Back