Growing hops

Nephron

Premium Member
Reaction score
Raising hops for the first time, and there are so many questions that I’m looking for a “best” reference book. You know what Palmer did for beer; now has anybody done that for hops? Varieties are Hallertau, Saaz, and Tettang. Each is 15 feet from the others, growing on string wrapped around a PVC fence.

Today’s puzzles concern the way 1 “bine” is now a half-dozen. I’ve heard that people cut out some. Also heard that one called a, “bull” should be removed. Which one is that?

Second puzzle is pests. Ohio Extension warned about “powdery Mildew” so I spray weekly with a copper antifungal. A “google photo” of discolored leaves took me to a scary article about “Apple Mosaic Virus“ (incurable). Only the leaves of one bine are discolored (so far). Not wanting to overreact, I see how ignorant I am. So…a book?

Attachments

• IMG_0068.jpeg
    IMG_0068.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 18
Could you insert the picture?
The attachment is blurry, and when I click on it, it's black (not your fault obviously, something in the forum software)
I might help indentifying pest & nutrition problems

Could you insert the picture?
The attachment is blurry, and when I click on it, it's black (not your fault obviously, something in the forum software)
I might help indentifying pest & nutrition problems
Here's another try. Like the first one, it embeds itself in the message (so I'm not sure it will be better). It's 195 kb.
I also tried "private messaging" but it also puts some version of the attachment into the message (which I assume changes it also).

Attachments

• IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 11
Try
"Attach file"
just the grey option below where you write your message.
Then select the picture
Then when the pic is downloaded press on "insert" on the picture
And choose "full size"

Hope that works

Ahah! The secret "Insert" trick! (For those who remember "Get Smart")
Hops 20240618.jpg

Professional hops farms cut off all but 3 or 4 bines. I don't know the details of that process.

If they are old enough to produce, then fungicide and extra care is warranted. Otherwise, they will survive to produce even without much care.

I don't know of any books on the subject, but I bet the folks at a small hops farm like Champlain Valley Hops in Starksboro VT would be happy to talk to you about it. They are really nice folks and grow awesome hops.

Much clearer pic ;)
Still difficult to determine from a picture.
I would expect more leaves to show symptoms if it was mosaic virus.
If the virus occurs in your area, then aphid control is essential.

I found this https://www.usahops.org/cabinet/data/9.pdf.
Might be helpful

I've been growing hops on our deck for over 20 years now, just one plant that produces enough for my annual fresh hop ale. I strung a wire across the front of the deck, and my wife trains them to follow the wire horizontally. It does send up shoots every Spring, but the main bine is easy to tell from the rest, and she cuts off the random shoots.
I first tried an old variety, Brewer's Gold I think, and it ended up COVERED in aphids, so we pulled it out and switched to Centennial. Great dual-purpose hop, and no aphid infestations. I usually get about 1 pound of cones from this one plant.

2024 hops.jpg
2022 hops, batch 1.jpg

Here's the book I bought years ago; don't know if it's still in print:

20240629_134003.jpg

My advice: Find a good dual-use, disease-resistant variety that will work well in your recipes. Hops are almost a weed, and will do well without much attention.

I used to grow hops in Washington. I thought about it here in Indiana, but the trees on the neighboring properties block the sun too much.

I've grown hops in upstate NY since 2012. In my ignorance when I planted, I never read any books. I can't help with any recommendations there, but I have learned a lot over the years by making mistakes that hopefully will help.

* In the beginning of the year, I train 4 bines on the string, as early in the year they are very tender and can snap. Once they grow and are sturdy, I snip the smallest bine and leave only 3 per plant on the string. You have to be diligent early in the year to trim all bushy/horizontal growth at the bottom of the plant, those will not produce much if any hops. You want the plant to focus on its 3 main bines to promote vertical growth.
* I've read/heard that snipping the first growth then training the second growth that comes up a week later promotes more yield, but I have not found this to do anything in practice. I just start training them once they pop up.
* If the top "head" (I don't know the technical term) breaks off, cut off the whole bine. It will stop growing vertically and will focus on bushing out, reducing your yield.
* Coconut string is the best I've found to promote vertical growth (what produces the most hops).
* I have grown; magnum, sterling, Mt. Hood and centennial in my region. Centennial produces the most yield and has the best flavor profile in my opinion out of those hops.
* I don't spray my plants with anything, they are in a somewhat breezy spot which I think has helped me over the years. If you are in a wet, not-windy area I could see mold being an issue. Japanese beetles have been the worst destructors over the years, so I have used those bags that smell terrible to trap them which helps during the years of bad beetles.
* I was dumb when I planted them and put different varieties close to eachother. With the maturity of these plants now, I have no idea what is growing until the cones start producing and I can use my senses to judge. If you are trying to plant different varieties, put them in different rows or far apart from eachother.
* I have a main steel line at the top and a lower steel line that is 6 inches off the ground. When I tie my coconut string to the top, I tie it off at the steel cable at the bottom and leave a "tail" of coconut string to help me train the plant to grow up on. If your row is oriented North/South (like mine are), make sure to train them to grow up on the east side of the bottom wire to avoid them scraping on it when it's windy.
* They like to be drenched once a day as long as it's hot out. I'll water them less or skip a day if it's been wet out. I use a trickle hose to water them.
* If you want to nerd out, I've found Cornell has some good online resources.

In general, don't worry too much. Keep the beetles off and you'll be fine

PXL_20230731_220016331.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230731_220006695.jpg
    PXL_20230731_220006695.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 1

Back