Gravity Slowly Dropping then Sharp Overnight Rise

Yontsey

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Not a concern, just want to learn why it happened.

Gravity in my Spotted Cow Clone was slowly dropping yesterday from 1.053 and got down to 1.038/39 until around midnight. Between midnight it spiked up to 1.042, 1.044, 1.045, then 1.047. From 1am til now (6am) it's been between 1.046-1.048. It's still bubbling like crazy from the airlock. Like I said, I'm not concerned but just curious why there would be a steady drop and then all of a sudden a sharp rise?

Gas? Gunk stuck on the Tilt?

Are you using temperature control?
If not, it could be temperature bias to the readings?
I always have to use a compensation table when doing hydrometer readings.

IMG_1972.png

Attachments

• IMG_1973.png
    IMG_1973.png
    131 KB · Views: 16
Are you using temperature control?
If not, it could be temperature bias to the readings?
I always have to use a compensation table when doing hydrometer readings.
No, it's just an SS Brew Bucket sitting in the dog shower lol. It's been sitting at 76-77˚. House is ACd at 70˚. It's only been 1.5 days since I moved it to the Bucket.

Most likely just gas bubbles that cling to the tilt. Take a small sample, bet it is fizzy
It’s been fermenting like crazy so that would make sense. Maybe I’ll do that later this evening. Sorry for all the questions, just love learning as much as I can on the various twists and turns. Thanks!

It’s been fermenting like crazy so that would make sense. Maybe I’ll do that later this evening. Sorry for all the questions, just love learning as much as I can on the various twists and turns. Thanks!
No, ask away. We all been there, man.

My tilt will fluctuate dramatically, especially in a very active fermentation. Bubbles, yeast and hop material can affect readings. I currently have a NEIPA in my brew bucket that I aggressively dry hopped. Tilt is currently reading 1.001 but actual gravity is around 1.010 with a hydrometer reading. More than likely a large glob of hop/yeast material is stuck to the tilt and throwing it off slightly.

No need to worry. In cases like this in mainly use the tilt readings to confirm when fermentation is complete and not for gravity accuracy.

You can see when I dry hopped at high krausen.

Attachments

• IMG_4029.png
    IMG_4029.png
    234.8 KB · Views: 17
No, it's just an SS Brew Bucket sitting in the dog shower lol. It's been sitting at 76-77˚. House is ACd at 70˚. It's only been 1.5 days since I moved it to the Bucket.
Why are you fermenting so hot?

Why are you fermenting so hot?
Had a situation where my Grainfather told me I was down to 71˚ during my CFC stage so I transferred it to my SS Brewtech Bucket but it was vastly hotter than it was. I had a thread about it on Sunday. Other than that, hard to control temp with a brew bucket. Kind of at the mercy of the fermentation process.

Every time I brew a new batch, I want to upgrade my equipment more and more. Want to get more seasoned before I commit a ton of money.

Had a situation where my Grainfather told me I was down to 71˚ during my CFC stage so I transferred it to my SS Brewtech Bucket but it was vastly hotter than it was. I had a thread about it on Sunday. Other than that, hard to control temp with a brew bucket. Kind of at the mercy of the fermentation process.

Every time I brew a new batch, I want to upgrade my equipment more and more. Want to get more seasoned before I commit a ton of money.
If you ever pull the trigger on a glycol setup, those brew buckets can be modified easy

20210408_125638.jpg

If you ever pull the trigger on a glycol setup, those brew buckets can be modified easy

View attachment 29765
That's very tempting. I'd at least entertain the design and possibility.

In my mind, I want to get a couple more months of brewing under my belt for some experience and trial and error then I might see what kind of Black Friday deals are out there.

Not a concern, just want to learn why it happened.

Gravity in my Spotted Cow Clone was slowly dropping yesterday from 1.053 and got down to 1.038/39 until around midnight. Between midnight it spiked up to 1.042, 1.044, 1.045, then 1.047. From 1am til now (6am) it's been between 1.046-1.048. It's still bubbling like crazy from the airlock. Like I said, I'm not concerned but just curious why there would be a steady drop and then all of a sudden a sharp rise?

Gas? Gunk stuck on the Tilt?
The short answer is, the readings should be suspected. It is an artifact of the measurement system.

Back