Goal: No moving hoses during brew day

Brewer #404298

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I am using single Blichmann 10 gallon with boil coil doing BIAB. Have chugger pump and plate chiller, whirlpool port and ultimate sparge arm (yeah that is overkill for BIAB, but I owned it already and haven't researched a better solution for recirculation). Excuse the mess, but see attached photo.

Goals:
I hate moving hot hoses around during brew day. My other goal is to shorten my hoses to reduce losses. I want to try eliminating my hop spider by adding hops directly to the kettle (I read this is how the pros do it)=so, I would also like to whirlpool prior to running through my plate chiller to reduce hops and other particles getting stuck in my plate chiller. I try to do as much clean in place as possible so it would be a huge win if I can also reverse the flow on my plate chiller during cleaning cycle to clean that out.

I am trying to figure out how to add a couple 3 way valves into my system (and then maybe hard pipe them as possible). Can't seem to get my brain around what the diagram would look like. I have searched, but only 3 vessel systems have pipe/flow diagrams on Google.

Anyone?

Attachments

• PXL_20240714_190952269.jpg
    PXL_20240714_190952269.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 13
This is how I did it. Just bolted it down.
20220408_191800.jpg

Start by drawing boxes to represent each piece of equipment that needs to be used to process wort. Then label spots for in and out.

Now, connect the ports, as you consider each step of the process. Some ports will have many connections.

Last, consider all the connections from each port. How can they be combined to flow? If they need to be separated, a valve does that. Go for minimum valves, but don't be stingy.

Also, if you do not yet use quick-connects, these make moving hoses easier and should be considered.

I can get down to 3 valves, but it seems like it should be 2. I have 2 sources (either from chiller or from pump). Would be great to have a simple T in there with one way valves to reduce hoses. They make those for beer?

I can get down to 3 valves, but it seems like it should be 2. I have 2 sources (either from chiller or from pump). Would be great to have a simple T in there with one way valves to reduce hoses. They make those for beer?
You don't want a 1 way valve. They have seats and springs that the beer has to go through. Keeping that clean would be a bitch.

Look at 3 way Ball Valves. They make ones that allow all-way and any-way. So you can direct flow any way needed.

I think I got it.
That looks ok. The 3-way can offer flow control to an extent.

The output of the chiller, if efficient enough, might go directly to the fermenter. My counterflow delivers input-water-temperature to its output in a single pass, your plate should as well. Even if it ends up a bit warmer, you can either let it air cool, or pitch slightly warm.

be careful with these 3 way ball valves, I went through several brands to get one that doesn't leak

That looks ok. The 3-way can offer flow control to an extent.

The output of the chiller, if efficient enough, might go directly to the fermenter. My counterflow delivers input-water-temperature to its output in a single pass, your plate should as well. Even if it ends up a bit warmer, you can either let it air cool, or pitch slightly warm.
True. It does get pretty cool quickly with that plate chiller. Always been a little nervous to go straight to fermenter. I will try it next time.

Back