Forgot to Clean Wort from between TC Disconnect and Butterfly Valve on the bottom of my conical fermenter.

rpfelder69

Trial Member
Reaction score
So, I transferred wort into my CF15 conical fermenter on a Sunday. I get back a week later from business and discover that I did not clean out the Wort from between the butterfly valve and TC Quick Connect. It had black and fuzzy white fungus growing between the butterfly valve and the TC Quick Connect. This is the first time this has happened for me. So here is my question: do you think that the butterfly valve has kept the fungus from getting to the inside of the fermenter?

If liquid can't get out, Then nothing should get in either. *shrugs*
That is what I was thinking too. Just needed to hear it from someone else. Now, I do have concerns about dumping the trub from that same butterfly valve. You think that will be ok?

That is what I was thinking too. Just needed to hear it from someone else. Now, I do have concerns about dumping the trub from that same butterfly valve. You think that will be ok?
Depends. You want to keep the trub?

I'd suggest cleaning what you can real well with a bottle brush and pbw or soap, followed by a mild bleach solution and a thorough rinse.

While I don't think contamination will get into the fermenter, no sense in taking a chance, just clean the best you can. Do remember that the alcohol in finished beer is a mild disinfectant, a couple million mold spores probably don't have a chance. (I speculate. I do not know).

Alternative is to just transfer the finished beer into your packaging system a little more carefully than usual, rather than dumping the trub.

Depends. You want to keep the trub?

I'd suggest cleaning what you can real well with a bottle brush and pbw or soap, followed by a mild bleach solution and a thorough rinse.

While I don't think contamination will get into the fermenter, no sense in taking a chance, just clean the best you can. Do remember that the alcohol in finished beer is a mild disinfectant, a couple million mold spores probably don't have a chance. (I speculate. I do not know).

Alternative is to just transfer the finished beer into your packaging system a little more carefully than usual, rather than dumping the trub.
I got another port that I use to keg. Everyone is pointing me in the direction I was going. Thanks for the response.

I guess the bigger question is are you taking the valve off for cleaning every time between fermentations?

Back