fix over carbonation in a keg

Brewer #430775

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey All: I have a 3 keg kezzer and one of the kegs has a black IPA. I have 11psi on the kegs and it is coming out as nothing but foam. I have opened the keg for a few to see if its foamy and its not. I have cider in the other keg same psi and it's fine. I am wondering if its the keg itself. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey All: I have a 3 keg kezzer and one of the kegs has a black IPA. I have 11psi on the kegs and it is coming out as nothing but foam. I have opened the keg for a few to see if its foamy and its not. I have cider in the other keg same psi and it's fine. I am wondering if its the keg itself. Any help would be appreciated.
Lots of reasons for foam. Over carb is one.

What psi did you can at?
Kegerator temp?
Beer line size/ length/ type ?

Faucet type?

Cider does not foam like beer. It has far less protein.

My kegs Always foam: I pressurize to 14 psi at 38 F, and use a picnic tap with maybe 3 feet of 3/8" line.

To pour, I pull the pressure release until it almost stops hissing, pour my beer, and then re-pressurize it when I'm done. That wastes some CO2, but it works for me.

You don't serve at 11PSI. I carbonate mine at 12 for a week. When ready to serve, I shut off the CO2 until it falls to around 5 after serving a few out of the picnic tap. If you don't turn down the CO2 after the second week, you will have a foam bomb.

You don't serve at 11PSI. I carbonate mine at 12 for a week. When ready to serve, I shut off the CO2 until it falls to around 5 after serving a few out of the picnic tap. If you don't turn down the CO2 after the second week, you will have a foam bomb.
If you turn off the co2, your beer will go flat as you serve it. You have to leave the beer at pressure to maintain the correct volume.

I have a beer right now that is serving at 18psi. It can be done

If you turn off the co2, your beer will go flat as you serve it. You have to leave the beer at pressure to maintain the correct volume.

I wonder....
I pour beer from my keg without CO2 attached, after I've carbed it.
Then occassionally I top up.
Th beer isn't going flat, but note that I top up occassionally.

The above is not because I like working like that, but it is out of neccessity

I leave it pressured but turn it off to allow it to fall to a serving pressure. I don't bleed it. It still remains pressurized. When it does fall to a certain level, I turn it back on. I just have a picnic tap with a short line so I can't play around with high pressure as a don't have the longer lines.

Interesting takes here.

After packaging the beer, I set my kegs to 10-12psi and never touch a thing until the keg kicks. Picnic tap, ≈5-6' line.

The line I have is smaller than that. I had a very long discussion with the guys at the BS one day. Serving around 4 or 5 with the corny keg and the small picnic tap lines works for what I have. If I leave it at 10-12 for more than a couple of weeks, I have a foam bomb.
OP may have a similar set-up. My line and my tap do stay inside the refrigerator where it is cold too.
I think it is a matter of set-up for where the pressure needs to be set.

Back