Filling 1 or 2 bottles from keg

Zambi

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
As the title says
I want to gift a friend just 1 or 2 bottles of my kegged beer and I got no special equipment.
Just an 8 litre oxebar keg and picnic tap.
The beer is carbonated.
I was thinking of using a "serving" pressure of maybe 2-3 psi and slowly pour into the bottle as full as can be and put a cap on it.
And tell him to drink it fairly quick.
Yes? No?
Is there a better way?

As the title says
I want to gift a friend just 1 or 2 bottles of my kegged beer and I got no special equipment.
The beer is carbonated.
I was thinking of using a "serving" pressure of maybe 2-3 psi and slowly pour into the bottle as full as can be and put a cap on it.
Yes? No?
Is there a better way?
Yes, that will work.
I have done this before, I pushed a 3/8" OD tube/hose into the tap outlet, it fit in pretty snug, that will allow you to fill from the bottom of the bottle.
Whenever I have done this I have relieved the pressure completely.
It should flow really slow to start, and you can add a wee bit of pressure if needed.
Fill as full as possible, and cap on foam.
It should stay carbonated for a pretty decent amount of time.

It's been a long time, but I think that I released almost all of the pressure, then held the bottle and tap just about the height of the keg.
Too slow typing. ^^^ What Craigerrr said.

Thanks all
I'm gonna give it a try

I used an old racking cane cut off at an angle and slide a drilled stopper on it. The racking cane fits in the picnic tap and the stopper provides some backpressure when held on the bottle. It also helps to cool the bottle. I toss mine in the freezer for a bit. Also, I don't lower the pressure, it helps provide the counter pressure to minimize foam. As others have said, cap on foam.
2024-07-31 18.04.10.jpg

I'll be looking in my beer toolbox to see what bits and bobs I got.
I'll probably do just 1 bottle of each brew.
Thanks all

As the title says
The beer is carbonated.
Yes? No?
Is there a better way?
Exactly how I do it.

I used an old racking cane cut off at an angle and slide a drilled stopper on it. The racking cane fits in the picnic tap and the stopper provides some backpressure when held on the bottle. It also helps to cool the bottle. I toss mine in the freezer for a bit. Also, I don't lower the pressure, it helps provide the counter pressure to minimize foam. As others have said, cap on foam.View attachment 30087

This works perfectly- I do that. I have an expensive beer gun but it's a pain to set up. This is quick, easy, and I've even medalled in competitions with this.

I used an old racking cane cut off at an angle and slide a drilled stopper on it. The racking cane fits in the picnic tap and the stopper provides some backpressure when held on the bottle. It also helps to cool the bottle. I toss mine in the freezer for a bit. Also, I don't lower the pressure, it helps provide the counter pressure to minimize foam. As others have said, cap on foam.View attachment 30087
I have tried this in the past but I don't think I did it correctly. I would love some more details if you're willing to share. Are you degassing the keg at all? Or lowering the serving pressure on the CO2 regulator?

I would love some more details if you're willing to share
Of course. I don't degas the beer and leave it set at 12psi or whatever I've carbonated it to. Adjust the stopper so you can place the wand at the bottom of the bottle so it contacts the rim of the opening. Hold the stopper tight against the bottle to seal it and start filling with the picnic tap wide open. as the pressure builds in the bottle shift the stopper to release some of the pressure but not all of it. Rinse and repeat until filled. Sometimes I won't have enough foam in the headspace so I just raise tube to the top and just crack open the picnic tap to create some foam to cap on. Note that the stopper does not fit into the bottle it is a larger one and just sits on top.

Back