FG after carbonation

Zambi

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Can you (accuratel) measure FG after kegging and carbonation?
I generally forget when kegging ;)
I'm talking force carbonation, so no extra sugar added and no spunding.

Can I just pour some beer, cover to prevent evaporation and let it sit for a day or so till flat?

Can I just pour some beer, cover to prevent evaporation and let it sit for a day or so till flat?
No, the carbonation will throw off the hydrometer. Degas the sample, then measure

No, the carbonation will throw off the hydrometer. Degas the sample, then measure
Yep, thats why I was thinking of letting it go flat first :)

I pour the sample back and forth between glasses to get it to off gas so I can take the FG reading. You could always just leave a sample out overnight for the co2 to offgas, maybe just cover it with foil, or plastic wrap.

I pour the sample back and forth between glasses to get it to off gas so I can take the FG reading. You could always just leave a sample out overnight for the co2 to offgas, maybe just cover it with foil, or plastic wrap.
That's the plan...
Just have a beer, leave some in the glass, cover and next day do a refracto reading. Use the correction tables and see.

I was asking as I did do a test as described and my attenuation seemed low, so wanted to check if I did it the right way. I'll do another check

As everyone said, shake or otherwise de-gas the sample, then it is fine.

Back