Diluting over proof beer?

Brewer #416055

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey!! What about fermenting 9L of high gravity wort, in an 18 L cony keg, with a spunding valve, then diluting it with another 9L of distilled water after it’s done fermenting, hopefully at 2 weeks, then carbonating it? Thanks!!

Why waste malt or extract if you are looking for a lower ABV brew? Reduce your malt and brew a 6% or less beer.

I woud dilute before fermenting

Hey!! What about fermenting 9L of high gravity wort, in an 18 L cony keg, with a spunding valve, then diluting it with another 9L of distilled water after it’s done fermenting, hopefully at 2 weeks, then carbonating it? Thanks!!
Dilute it first to hit whatever gravity you are targeting.

Thanks everyone. The reason I want to add distilled water later is so I can finish with a full keg and also use a spunding valve. Really appreciate your input

The big boys do it, but not like you're suggesting.
They do it to save Fermentor space.

That’s really helpful… I heard about bigger breweries diluting over proof beer and that’s part of why I want to try it. Might not understand in full detail how the oxygen in the water will be my beer’s enemy. I’m also able to transfer the distilled water from one keg to the fermenter keg. Would that make a difference?

Back