Clean up yeast temperature

Mashmellow

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I am currently fermenting a Kellerbier with Cellar Science German Lager yeast. The recommended range is pretty narrow 50-59F. I'm at 53F. My question is: when you raise the temp for clean up, is it advisable to go outside the range (I saw someone post they cleaned up at 63F with this yeast) or just go to the top end of 59F? I've always tried to stay in the range.

I am currently fermenting a Kellerbier with Cellar Science German Lager yeast. The recommended range is pretty narrow 50-59F. I'm at 53F. My question is: when you raise the temp for clean up, is it advisable to go outside the range (I saw someone post they cleaned up at 63F with this yeast) or just go to the top end of 59F? I've always tried to stay in the range.
Lagers generally benefit from rising 10 to 15 degrees F when fermentation is 2/3-3/4 done.

Lagers generally benefit from rising 10 to 15 degrees F when fermentation is 2/3-3/4 done.
Thanks, that's what I believed, but there wasn't 10-15 degrees variance in the whole recommended range. I'll take it up 10 to 63 and see what happens. I bottle carb so I was concerned about stalling.

Thanks, that's what I believed, but there wasn't 10-15 degrees variance in the whole recommended range. I'll take it up 10 to 63 and see what happens. I bottle carb so I was concerned about stalling.
The temperature range is to avoid off-flavors, the yeast won't stall if it is warmer. And since major ferm is done, off-flavors are not a concern.

The temperature range is to avoid off-flavors, the yeast won't stall if it is warmer. And since major ferm is done, off-flavors are not a concern.
And just like that, I'm smarter then yesterday! Thank you. That totally makes sense. I appreciate you taking the time.

It doesn't have to be in the range for the d rest

Last edited:
I do mid to upper 60s F for all conditioning. It seems to work quite well.

It is possible to increase the temperature a little, as long as you do it slowly and do not let the temperature get too warm. Pushing the temperature up to 63°F is not a problem, as this can help the yeast finish off any remaining diacetyl.

Back