Cane sugar addition

Simonpyman

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So tomorrow I am brewing a Belgian Blonde and the recipe calls for 0.5 lbs cane sugar. I copied from a recipe to build the current recipe i will be following. What is the best time to add the sugar? I do see some recipes say late kettle boil addition , does that mean the last 10 minutes of the boil or right after turning off heating elements on the brewzilla and at the start of cool down? I am assuming that no one adds the cane sugar during the mash correct?

Yes, no sense adding it in the mash, wait for the boil and (pro tip) try to dissolve it either by pulling a few liters hot wort from the boil or by adding it slowly and stirring well. As late as you like, but keep it hot enough to be sanitized.

So tomorrow I am brewing a Belgian Blonde and the recipe calls for 0.5 lbs cane sugar. I copied from a recipe to build the current recipe i will be following. What is the best time to add the sugar? I do see some recipes say late kettle boil addition , does that mean the last 10 minutes of the boil or right after turning off heating elements on the brewzilla and at the start of cool down? I am assuming that no one adds the cane sugar during the mash correct?
cane sugar or candi sugar?

I add it after mashing while squeezing the brew bag while it is hoisted. That gives it a little time to dissolve. I have added it during the mash, but i dont know how efficient that was.

Last belgian i did, i added it 1/2 way through fermentation

For my imperial stout, i add it near the end of the boil

Back