Brewing a lager recipe with ale yeast

Mastoras007

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I have ingredients for this recipe https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/356952/nrden-bru-czech-pilsner-plze-
But I don't have yeast ( i have only malt and hops) I'm not sure if I want again to brew lager at least at this point because I have some issues with my refrigerator
Can't reach low temperatures because of to hot weather here
Can i use this ingredients too brew a ale?
Any suggestions to add any extra hop? Or extra malt? Or quit the dream and brew a lager anyway?
Theanks

I think those ingredients could make a fine ale. Use a Belgian yeast for a patersbier style or a clean American ale yeast like US-05 for a German inspired pale ale.

My suggestion would be 34/70.

I just brewed a Cold IPA with that yeast. I didn’t bother with temp control. I pitched at 61F (16-17C) and just let it buck. It peaked at 75F (24C), I got a little worried, I thought it would be or have some off flavors, but to my surprise it was really clean. I think I over pitch a bit, so it went nuts, it was done In 3 days, going from 1.064 to 1.011.

I would pitch one pack a little lower in temperature wort and see what happens.

One word. Kveik.

Go for one of the clean fermenting strains. That will overcome your lagering temperature issues as well as the time required. I've never had Voss give me the "orange" pof and that's at 85°F and as a pretty widely available strain I'd say give it a go!

Hello everyone.
I have ingredients for this recipe https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/356952/nrden-bru-czech-pilsner-plze-
But I don't have yeast ( i have only malt and hops) I'm not sure if I want again to brew lager at least at this point because I have some issues with my refrigerator
Can't reach low temperatures because of to hot weather here
Can i use this ingredients too brew a ale?
Any suggestions to add any extra hop? Or extra malt? Or quit the dream and brew a lager anyway?
Theanks
Brew the ale. I like all of the suggestions above.

I'm not sure how hot you get there.
Voss can handle close to 40 oC!

I'd be tempted to bring the hops up and make a session Pale Ale with a clean ale yeast:) I was in St Pete area one week last fall and tried some beers that used a heavy dose of Saaz. Those were tasty.
The Saaz I was getting was really low in alphas, so mixing it with Hallertau in a Pale Ale isn't a bad idea either.

Theanks for your replys
I will probably go for kveik voss
Temperatures here day is 37-38 night 21-25 this temperature flactuate is ok for this yeast? I'm brewing on a room at my balcony temperatures in there are crazy
Give me some advice for hopes, i can just use those i have 60min but any suggestion for let's say last 20-10 minutes? I don't want to much aroma or flavour I just want to be as possible as lager taste!

Just wrap your fermenter in a duvet and with Voss, you'll be fine.

They're is really no such thing as an ale or lager recipe. It becomes one or the other based on what yeast you use and how it is fermented.

If you use an ale yeast, its an ale. ;)

Back