Bottle conditioning timeline.

FleetingSmoke

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding bottle conditioning. I brewed a Scottish Export beer recently. Today is Day 8 of the conditioning process. I am wondering whether it is too early to put the bottles in the fridge to start chilling them. Secondarily, is it too early to pop a bottle to taste test? I used carb lozenges for this batch. Thanks in advance.

Seems you are new here,welcome to the forum! If you are interested we have a monthly zoom meeting just to chat, and talk beer.
There is a zoom meeting thread that will have the link in it, feel free to join us, all are welcome!

Screenshot_20240727_144921_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240727_145002_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240727_145034_Chrome.jpg

I would wait a full two weeks personally before chilling and testing one. Depending on the ABV and complexity of the beer, it may benefit from aging much longer as well. Others may have other opinions though.
Have opinions :)
Obviously subjective, so ymmv, but I bottle almost exclusively and have never had a bottle <4 weeks that I would consider "mature".
4-6 weeks is "fresh" and the flavor/aroma is still developing, but byandlarge things should be about where I want them. Anything before that I have always noticed an unfinished (sweetish?) note to the beer. After that, yeah, things open up, but anything short of 4 weeks in a bottle is probably going to be a bit "fresh"....

I have a question regarding bottle conditioning. I brewed a Scottish Export beer recently. Today is Day 8 of the conditioning process. I am wondering whether it is too early to put the bottles in the fridge to start chilling them. Secondarily, is it too early to pop a bottle to taste test? I used carb lozenges for this batch. Thanks in advance.
It is too early to fridge them, but it is never too early to test, IMHO. It is worth 'sacrificing' one to see where it is in the process. But the others, time will not hurt them. 4-6 weeks might be appropriate - try another on week 3.

Minimum 11 days before a test bottle should get put in the fridge. Ideally, closer to 14. Let the test bottle go a full 24 hours before you pop it. If it is carbonated, put the rest of them in there. They will get better as they age another 2-4 weeks in the cold.

I'll alter my conditioning time given the yeast and the abv.

Kvike I've turned in less than a week with a session beer but yeah...I'm with the consensus of at least a couple weeks and for the higher and brews which I'm assuming your export is, I'd go longer not for the carbing so much but for the richer flavor you will get with a little aging.

Go ahead and try a bottle now if you want....ya know....for science...a young or green beer will be a little thin..lacking body. Write down your tasting notes then give it a couple weeks and compare. Let us know what you do.

Agree about tasting one to see where it is in the carbonation process. Also, taste one every 1-2 weeks until it is tasting like you want. For those hoppy ones where aroma is important, I put those in the fridge ASAP because hop aroma can fade fast and some are better drank sooner than later. For my porters and browns, I let them go 6-8 weeks, but still snitch one ~3 weeks to taste. You can taste anywhere in the process and it is good to do so.

Back