Best way to cool the wort??????

Brews Bros

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello guy s, thanks for support .
So my point is,
My water is minimum 25 degres to 35 degres.....
I cool my wort with coil chiller and running water from boil to 40 degres , ( take a good 30 minutes)
Then connect my coil to an aquarium pump in a bucket of ice to reach 32 degres , my need for the use of Voss kveik and respecting the temperature all year long....
So I ve seen différentes options but I would like informations more about glycol chiller for wort connect to a coil chiller , close circuit and temperature from boil...( Which I think isn t possible)
Thanks for your help, and for sure any solutions are welcome.

Hello guy s, thanks for support .
So my point is,
My water is minimum 25 degres to 35 degres.....
I cool my wort with coil chiller and running water from boil to 40 degres , ( take a good 30 minutes)
Then connect my coil to an aquarium pump in a bucket of ice to reach 32 degres , my need for the use of Voss kveik and respecting the temperature all year long....
So I ve seen différentes options but I would like informations more about glycol chiller for wort connect to a coil chiller , close circuit and temperature from boil...( Which I think isn t possible)
Thanks for your help, and for sure any solutions are welcome.
I use a glycol system, but to cool from boiling would require alot of it. I cool the wort from boiling using a chill coil, much like you do, just using water to chill it down to 90F or so. Then transfer to the fermentor where I use the glycol system to bring it down to pitch temp. (Also used to regulate ferm temps)

Look up "counterflow chiller", you can make one or buy one. This will bring the wort to about 2-3 degrees above the incoming water. If that is not cold enough:

Once the wort is half-cooled, the output of the counterflow chiller goes in to the coil you have, and that coil is inside a bucket of ice water, which will bring the wort down to 20 or less.From there it goes into the fermenter.

This is a continuous process: The wort passes through each point only one time. You need a pump for the wort.
Hot wort >> CF Chiller >> coil chiller >> fermenter.
Down to pitch temperature as fast as you can pump it.

Just one idea, there will be many more.

I use a glycol system, but to cool from boiling would require alot of it. I cool the wort from boiling using a chill coil, much like you do, just using water to chill it down to 90F or so. Then transfer to the fermentor where I use the glycol system to bring it down to pitch temp. (Also used to regulate ferm temps)
Thanks mate, Please , I m happy to know your installation, model, fermentor capacity...

Brewzilla 35 (Gen 3.1.1), Spike 7 gallon fermenter, and home-built counterflow chiller.

Have you looked at no chill?

With lagers, I use the water chiller and try to get 80F. I then set a specific temperature in the refrigerator, seal it, let it sit for about three hours, go to the brewery, and pitch when I get back.
I guess that is some chill instead of no chill LOL.

Have you looked at no chill?
Yes that s maybe the best option , but again, read all this things about "contaminating" your beer in fermentor, so I was happy with closing one time and don t touch it anymore..
Ok I have to read about no chill.
Thanks

Yes that s maybe the best option , but again, read all this things about "contaminating" your beer in fermentor, so I was happy with closing one time and don t touch it anymore..
Thanks
if your fermenter can hold pressure, you can put it under pressure and prevent any ingress.

small plate and frame chillers are available online for a relatively small amount of money. as was stated above, ice with a counterflow(plate and frame) heat exchanger is very effective and does not use a whole lot of water.

one thing to consider is that you have to clean the hell out of the filter or heat it up with hot water for a while to heat sanitize it.

Voss is awesome. brewed 3 times last week with it and have already packed a red ale. Im packing my 2 dryhopped ipas tomorrow and wednesday both will/are at terminal (81-83% attenuation) in about 5 days with dryhop.

jacketed glycol tanks are industry standard for commercia breweries, but they are $$$. depending on your budget, a coil is a decent option, but once again you are running a serious cleaning regiment to prevent infection. Your fermenter may also sweat which could be annoying.

what is your temp inside? it might be easier to keep your fermenters inside. you can always rig up a wet blanket with a fan to cool them.

that thing is pretty sweet! be very sure that you are running food grade glycol with rust inhibitor and that you check your concentrations every 6 months or so.
Not really any difference between food grade and non-food when it comes to propylene glycol, but it was just the same.
Never had anything rust. Its all stainless, silicon and plastic.
Glycol does not evaporate below about 180F. You do have to top up the water, as that will evaporate. But That only makes the mixture content higher. At 20%, it is good to about 18F, i never get below 28F, so it's good.

depending on your budget, a coil is a decent option, but once again you are running a serious cleaning regiment to prevent infection. Your fermenter may also sweat which could be annoying.
I use a coil, and I have to assume that putting into the boiling wort will sanitize it. When I started using it, the heat caused water in the tube to boil and burp out. I have since learned to drain the coil well after use. Then I give it a good rinse and it's clean for next time.

I use a pump and a large water "tank", so there is no water wasted.

Thanks
You seal the vessel, but I would not like to leave it more than a few hours. Overnight max. I actually put the lid and bung on like I was fermenting the beer and place it in the fridge. When you pitch, have a sanitizer bowl next to the fermenter. Sanitize the lid, the scissors, the yeast packet... everything and pitch. It does work and doesn't require a monetary investment. Again, I don't no chill, but I use a similar concept with lagers because my water doesn't get cold either.

if your fermenter can hold pressure, you can put it under pressure and prevent any ingress.

small plate and frame chillers are available online for a relatively small amount of money. as was stated above, ice with a counterflow(plate and frame) heat exchanger is very effective and does not use a whole lot of water.

one thing to consider is that you have to clean the hell out of the filter or heat it up with hot water for a while to heat sanitize it.

Voss is awesome. brewed 3 times last week with it and have already packed a red ale. Im packing my 2 dryhopped ipas tomorrow and wednesday both will/are at terminal (81-83% attenuation) in about 5 days with dryhop.

jacketed glycol tanks are industry standard for commercia breweries, but they are $$$. depending on your budget, a coil is a decent option, but once again you are running a serious cleaning regiment to prevent infection. Your fermenter may also sweat which could be annoying.

what is your temp inside? it might be easier to keep your fermenters inside. you can always rig up a wet blanket with a fan to cool them.
Temp inside 32 degrés celsius, humidity between 70 to 90%

Just make sure you have your counterflow chiller going the right way or it'll drive you insane wondering why it's taking *FOREVER* to chill.....smh (I'm the idiot)

I use a coil, and I have to assume that putting into the boiling wort will sanitize it. When I started using it, the heat caused water in the tube to boil and burp out. I have since learned to drain the coil well after use. Then I give it a good rinse and it's clean for next time.

I use a pump and a large water "tank", so there is no water wasted.
you are correct. using a coil in the hot wort is fine. it sanitizes itself. I was saying if you were going to use it to maintain your fermenter temps, there are alot of nooks and crannies on a coil that can hide bugs.

you are correct. using a coil in the hot wort is fine. it sanitizes itself. I was saying if you were going to use it to maintain your fermenter temps, there are alot of nooks and crannies on a coil that can hide bugs.
20211015_164031.jpg

This one doesn't. :p

Back