Beer in the keezer (instead of the keg)

cosmo65

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Just returned from a trip to Germany, my first experience out of the US and Oktober Fest. It was outstanding!
When I returned, I was eager to have one of my beers that I'd tapped a few weeks prior. I'd had a few of them and I felt like
they were aging and getting better and I was looking forward to having one. When I pulled back on the tap handle, shoooosh, empty! WTH?
I opened the keezer and there was my honey porter all over the bottom of the keezer. Not sure what could have caused this. Maybe an O ring failure all of a sudden?? Has anyone ever had this happen? At first inspection, I don't see anything wrong. Now it's clean up time...

Most likely an oring on the"out"post.

It could be the one inside the valve, but most likely the one that the ball lock attached to

Most likely an oring on the"out"post.

It could be the one inside the valve, but most likely the one that the ball lock attached to
thanks, that's what I was thinking. I've ordered new oring kits, that makes 2 kegs that have failed. the other was on the gas side. lost all cO2. Time for some maintenance.

thanks, that's what I was thinking. I've ordered new oring kits, that makes 2 kegs that have failed. the other was on the gas side. lost all cO2. Time for some maintenance.
I have been lucky, in 3 years only had 1 failure, lost a nearly new 5lb co2 tank. Cheaper than the beer though, lol

Just returned from a trip to Germany, my first experience out of the US and Oktober Fest. It was outstanding!
When I returned, I was eager to have one of my beers that I'd tapped a few weeks prior. I'd had a few of them and I felt like
they were aging and getting better and I was looking forward to having one. When I pulled back on the tap handle, shoooosh, empty! WTH?
I opened the keezer and there was my honey porter all over the bottom of the keezer. Not sure what could have caused this. Maybe an O ring failure all of a sudden?? Has anyone ever had this happen? At first inspection, I don't see anything wrong. Now it's clean up time...
If the larger o ring, or the one around the dip tube, failed, gas would come out, not beer. Only the one on the poppet could let beer out. Be sure to get a new poppet. No other seal failure could let beer out.

If the larger o ring, or the one around the dip tube, failed, gas would come out, not beer. Only the one on the poppet could let beer out. Be sure to get a new poppet. No other seal failure could let beer out.
If the large outer oring fails, then the ball lock won't seal. It will leak beer

If the large outer oring fails, then the ball lock won't seal. It will leak beer
There is gas above the liquid. The only thing below liquid level is the bottom of the dip tube. Anything ending above the liquid can only leak gas. What am I missing?

There is gas above the liquid. The only thing below liquid level is the bottom of the dip tube. Anything ending above the liquid can only leak gas. What am I missing?
Ok, get what your are saying.

If the internal orings are good and the external oring that mates to the ball lock adapter is bad, then you leak beer. Once the pins in the post and the ball lock are depressed, the only thing keeping the beer in the line is that oring

Back