Basement brewery ventilation

philjohnwilliams

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to make the switch from brewing with propane outdoors to electric brewing in my basement. I'll be setting up in the laundry room where I already store all of my brewing gear and have my kegerator. Access to electricity and water is not a problem, but I am wondering what my best option for venting water would be. I have a 400cfm blower from an old commercial range hood I was going to make a new hood for, and I was thinking of tapping into the exhaust duct for the dryer to avoid drilling a new hole through the foundation. I would install blast gates to isolate brewing exhaust from dryer exhaust. I will be setting up next to the dryer so my duct (4") will be no more than 6 feet. Does anybody see any glaring issues with this setup? And for those of you who are already brewing in your basement I'd love to see your ventilation setups.

I tried different styles of ventilation for years. Unless you get alot of air movement right over the boil kettle. It doesn't work.

Steam condenser worked alot better for me

I tried different styles of ventilation for years. Unless you get alot of air movement right over the boil kettle. It doesn't work.

Steam condenser worked alot better for me
Water dripping back is a big problem for over head vents, you have add a gutter to drip correct

Water dripping back is a big problem for over head vents, you have add a gutter to drip correct
Biggest problem i had was that it didn't actually move enough air. So the room still steamed up, albeit not as bad as without it.

Also the 4" dryer hose would fill with water.

Biggest problem i had was that it didn't actually move enough air. So the room still steamed up, albeit not as bad as without it.

I have a 12" blower now and it helps untill the wind blowes

How many cfm was your blower and how much/what type of ductwork were you using?

I have mine in my shed attached to the wall going outside up high, it condensates less that way

IMG_20240710_105529783_HDR.jpg

How many cfm was your blower and how much/what type of ductwork were you using?
I started with 3 8"fans.(in a manofold) 4' dryer hose that was 10ft long. My second try was a single 10" high speed fan. Don't know cfm. Neither worked well and was a PITA to set up.

I would recommend against trying to "ventilate, and to go with a steam condenser.
I get a bit of heat and a bit of humidity in my basement brew room when mashing.
During though boil with a steam condenser the steam gets condensed back to water and goes down the drain.

What are you brewing with?

Fortunately for me with a Brewzilla, I just purchased their off the shelf condenser.
I think @BarbarianBrewer made his own set up which works well for him, perhaps he will chime in.

1720629635512.png

I would recommend against trying to "ventilate, and to go with a steam condenser.
I get a bit of heat and a bit of humidity in my basement brew room when mashing.
During though boil with a steam condenser the steam gets condensed back to water and goes down the drain.

What are you brewing with?

Fortunately for me with a Brewzilla, I just purchased their off the shelf condenser.
I think @BarbarianBrewer made his own set up which works well for him, perhaps he will chime in.

View attachment 29925
I have an Anvil 10.5 on order, I have no idea what kind of boil off to expect, but if I need it they do make a condenser for it.

I made my own as well. If you have some basic tools its not hard

20240628_122440.jpg

I have a couple, the issue with mine is you to have a clear path to a drain or the steam builds up in the bucket, I cannot submerge mine in water either

I have a couple, the issue with mine is you to have a clear path to a drain or the steam builds up in the bucket, I cannot submerge mine in water either
Mine doesn't get that hot. Water is 140F in the bucket

I am considering a similar thing, and so I am quite interested in this.

At first my main concern was your trying to get 400 cfm through a 4" duct. It doesn't seem like it'll be sufficient.

But then the comments about the failures of venting and the successes of condensing made me think that ventilation, especially without make-up air, won't do it.

My current problem is that I have neither water nor drain in the cellar. Water is easy to fix, drain is a bit complicated. But yhat's likely where I will head.

At first my main concern was your trying to get 400 cfm through a 4" duct. It doesn't seem like it'll be sufficient.

But then the comments about the failures of venting and the successes of condensing made me think that ventilation, especially without make-up air, won't do it.

My current problem is that I have neither water nor drain in the cellar. Water is easy to fix, drain is a bit complicated. But yhat's likely where I will head.
I don't drain it, collect it in a bucket and use it for clean up. Already warmed up

400 cfm is pretty much the limit for a 4" duct, I would prefer a 6 or 8" duct but I want to try to avoid drilling through my foundation. Make up air, if needed, can come from an open window in an adjoining room. I think while I'm waiting for the Anvil to arrive I'll do some ventilation experiments, I have all the materials I need so all it will cost is a bit of time

I don't drain it, collect it in a bucket and use it for clean up. Already warmed up
It has to go somewhere eventually, no? Out the window?

I'm thinking of a variant on a sump pump. I can discharge the (clean) water into a storm drain, or onto the lawn I suppose.

The smaller the diameter of the hose the slower the blower runs, mine will only run full speed unrestricted

Back