Dip Hop IBU Calculation

aussiealchemist

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I recently had a crack at the 'dip hopping' method with a Hazy IIPA and it worked really, really well. I called it Crazy Hazy if you want to look it up. For the IBU calc in the recipe builder I selected "Mash Hop" at 70C for the "dip hops". The only other hops added were in the whirlpool at 80C. To my taste, I would say that the estimated IBU at 40 was about right, although obviously none of that was from isomerised alpha acids. Are you planning to add "Dip Hops" to the drop down menu in the hop selection input list? It would be interesting to know how you would calculate the bitterness from this rather odd technique.

Cheers from Down Under
Alan

I would argue that if you had zero isomerization, then you had zero IBU (or near zero)

Ever sacked on a hop pellet?
The bitterness comes from other stuff. If measured in a laboratory, you'll get zero IBUs if the hops were not isomerized.

I am not super familiar with dip hopping. Is this the same as dry hopping except the hops are pulled back out? Or is this something added pre-boil like mash hopping?? My guess is the former.

The bitterness comes from other stuff. If measured in a laboratory, you'll get zero IBUs if the hops were not isomerized.

I am not super familiar with dip hopping. Is this the same as dry hopping except the hops are pulled back out? Or is this something added pre-boil like mash hopping?? My guess is the former.
Plenty of stuff on YouTube and Google about dip hopping. But yes the idea is to soak hops in liquor, either just the adjusted water or mash liquid at mash temperature for at least an hour, then add them to the cool wort in the fermenter. Those with ss fermenters can just add the hops direct with 70C liquid, I have a plastic fermenter so put the hops and liquid in a ss pot. I suspect the bitterness does come from co-humulone.

Lots of isomerization happening at mash temperature for an hour. Roughly 10% as much compared with boiling but still can be significant if a lot are used.

Back