Liquid Yeast Without Power

Sandy Feet

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
How long do y'all think liquid yeast will stay good in the refrigerator if I lose power (and I almost certainly will this week). New forecast call for a Possible Cat 2 over my area inland in the middle of the state.

How long do y'all think liquid yeast will stay good in the refrigerator if I lose power (and I almost certainly will this week). New forecast call for a Possible Cat 2 over my area inland in the middle of the state.
i would think that a few days wouldnt be a huge problem. Are you evacuating? I have beer if you come all the way to Savannah.

Fill your freezers with water and let it freeze while you have power then dont open them while the power is off. should keep most things frozen for a few days.

Frozen water blocks double as potable water as well as being able to add them as needed to the fridge.

honestly though there is a high likely-hood that the next wind storm will knock out alot of power here though. They truely ducttaped and hotglued our power lines back together after helene. it will take most of the year to finish repairs to the lines.

I don't know where else I would go. I'm in one of the better spots, and good luck finding gas right now.

Have you seen the Turnpike and 75? Awesome offer though. I told Big Bre they shifted the track south, so at least the eye might not be right over me. 80ish might suck, 100 plus would really suck. At least, I dont worry too much about flooding and no srorm surge inland.

It got crazy for a little while yesterday morning. I didn't see any damage yesterday, but I still don't have power this morning. The crazy thing, my neighbor behind me does. I stored my yeast and some chicken breast at her house. I cooked tacos for her yesterday because my hamburger was going to go bad if I didn't do something. I also threw away a bunch of crap in the freezer.
I had a bit of a moment yesterday morning. It still happens every time I have to go through my wife's stuff. This time was all the yard decorations that I had stuffed in the garage for two days. I had to throw more stuff away.
I will tell you what, I think losing a spouse is probably one of the most painful, long-term events possible. Just when you think you have it licked, something else brings it back again.

It got crazy for a little while yesterday morning. I didn't see any damage yesterday, but I still don't have power this morning. The crazy thing, my neighbor behind me does. I stored my yeast and some chicken breast at her house. I cooked tacos for her yesterday because my hamburger was going to go bad if I didn't do something. I also threw away a bunch of crap in the freezer.
I had a bit of a moment yesterday morning. It still happens every time I have to go through my wife's stuff. This time was all the yard decorations that I had stuffed in the garage for two days. I had to throw more stuff away.
I will tell you what, I think losing a spouse is probably one of the most painful, long-term events possible. Just when you think you have it licked, something else brings it back again.
There is no time limit on grieving.

Losing a spouse is said to be the second-most traumatic event possible in any life. One manages but never forgets. Only losing a child is arguably worse.

Don’t hesitate to reach out, we’re all friends here.

On a related note, if you are short on acorns let me know, I’ll fedex a box down to you…

I have power!!! Going to drink some beer tonight, and now I can actually plan meals for next week. Damn those First World problems LOL.
I also want to see if I can find propane tomorrow. Publix was out when I looked yesterday. I initially wanted to buy it before the storm, but I did not want a full propane tank blowing around in 100mph wind gusts. If I can actually find it, I might brew on Sunday. The weather might be ideal for it. It should be after this week.
Getting just a small taste of it, I can't imagine what the residents over on the Gulf are going through this month.

Losing a spouse is said to be the second-most traumatic event possible in any life. One manages but never forgets. Only losing a child is arguably worse.

Don’t hesitate to reach out, we’re all friends here.

On a related note, if you are short on acorns let me know, I’ll fedex a box down to you…
It helps just to talk about it sometimes. I have enough shit in my yard LOL.

i would think that a few days wouldnt be a huge problem. Are you evacuating? I have beer if you come all the way to Savannah.

Fill your freezers with water and let it freeze while you have power then dont open them while the power is off. should keep most things frozen for a few days.

Frozen water blocks double as potable water as well as being able to add them as needed to the fridge.

Frozen gallon jugs work for me. Make as much ice as you can before power goes out and fill every space you can. The generator blew the relay and capacitor on one frig. Amazon still delivered in one day through it all and we had it up and running the next day. Power came back in 5 days. Other lessons learned - Fiber optic works with the power out and you can get phone/internet/TV back with a generator. At the end of hurricane season, generators get cheap. Duel fuel (gas/propane) are the way to go. We only use propane (and you can use propane even when the carburetor is trashed from old gas).

Last edited:
It helps just to talk about it sometimes. I have enough shit in my yard LOL.
Oh darn… now what am I gonna do, make acorn beer?? :p

Ok, so power is good! No propane can be solved.
Most important is that nothing really happened. My heart breaks for those who got serious damage.

Oh darn… now what am I gonna do, make acorn beer?? :p

Ok, so power is good! No propane can be solved.
Most important is that nothing really happened. My heart breaks for those who got serious damage.
So does mine. We just got a taste of it.
Lowes was fully stocked with propane today too:)
There is a place in town that did some sort of crazy, Sour/Farmhouse with acorns. It was definitely unique, but I wasn't all that crazy about it.
I was actually surprised Publix was as well stocked as it was today. Obviously, big holes on the water aisle. Also, the same for eggs. Other than those two things, you would never know a storm hit.

Up North, we used to joke that a big snowstorm made people want French Toast, because all the stores sold out of bread, eggs and milk.

Some years ago, there was a thread here like “can I brew with this?” Discussed were several very odd ideas, including gym socks. It ended up as ‘you can, but should you?’ I see acorns falling into that category. Even if they are free!

Ok, so liquid yeast can last a couple days at ‘room’ temperature, after that be sure to make a starter to be sure.

I was initially a little concerned that it didn't take off right away, but I did notice some activity @ 12 hours and some serious krausen this morning, so life is good. I'm sure that Guinness yeast is going to drop quickly too.
I had a beautiful morning to brew, and I hit mash temps and gravity. It was going to be a pisser if the yeast didn't start, but it did.

Back