returning to brewing! Looking for comments on a Red and a Stout I put together before I brew

Broue

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have 2 recipes I put together and want feedback if anyone is into advice!
DesroFour Rousse and DesroFour Stout.... would love comments... brewing in a week...

Hard to give feedback on invisible recipes. Here are some examples that i have on draft or were recently on draft.

This is the big red that i just brewed. it is gonna be a pretty beer and tasty!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1511227

This is the red that was just on draft that i would raise the srm to 14-15 next time and use lager or a higher flock yeast.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1485272

Oatmeal porter that is on draft now. it needs more body, so higher mash temp and Voss did me a little dirty and had a solid attenuation. Next time i would probably just use chico or a high temp lager ferment.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1501840

Hello all,

I have 2 recipes I put together and want feedback if anyone is into advice!
DesroFour Rousse and DesroFour Stout.... would love comments... brewing in a week...
Yeah. At your convenience, set the recipes to public and post links here, thanks.

Making the recipe for a red is not something I have done a lot of, but that is an awful lot of crystal for almost anything. If making an Irish Red, I don't know why you aren't using something like a WLP004. Same yeast for the Stout. I have it in my Porter, and the last time I made it, that yeast made a big difference. There is something about that Guinness strain for some of those beers.

I like it, other than the crystal malt. But that’s just me.

what yeast are you using? For a dry stout, I’d want something that attenuates well.
I just tweaked both recipes... Never did the online calc before! Always was pen and paper, and simple recipe... Yeast? Will see what the corner brew shop has for me and ask Stéphane for a suggestion

Agree with @Sandy Feet. And 19 SRM is likely to get you brown, not red.

Not saying you should copy this recipe, but here was an Irish Red many of us here brewed as part of our quarterly community recipe group brew. This was a fantastic Irish Red and at least worth a look.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum...end-community-recipie-2021.15089/#post-147349
Awesome!! THaks... I will check this one out. I did make an ESB a few times that was always stellar... I went with it and went nuts maybe redesigning the recipe

Making the recipe for a red is not something I have done a lot of, but that is an awful lot of crystal for almost anything. If making an Irish Red, I don't know why you aren't using something like a WLP004. Same yeast for the Stout. I have it in my Porter, and the last time I made it, that yeast made a big difference. There is something about that Guinness strain for some of those beers.
Thanks! What would you suggest as a mod in place of or reducing the Crystal? ( I riffed on an ESB I made a couple times in a "Zap Zap Papazian Mash tun a long time ago that always got a good review) .. have since updated and upgraded into much better and larger gear

Last edited:
My ESB had 7.7% 70SRM Crystal, and I didn't use Chocolate Malt. It was plenty dark, actually almost perfect. That 2% Chocolate 350 SRMWILL darken it. I used it in a Vienna at 2% with nothing else except Vienna, and it darkened it plenty.
In place of reducing Crystal? More Otter.
Briess suggests on their web site using that Specialty Roast in low amounts until you get used to it. Whenever I try something different, I read up on it first. If you want a little biscuit, the Otter will do that.

Last edited:
My ESB had 7.7% 70SRM Crystal, and I didn't use Chocolate Malt. It was plenty dark, actually almost perfect. That 2% Chocolate 350 SRMWILL darken it. I used it in a Vienna at 2% with nothing else except Vienna, and it darkened it plenty.
In place of reducing Crystal? More Otter.
Briess suggests on their web site using that Specialty Roast in low amounts until you get used to it. Whenever I try something different, I read up on it first. If you want a little biscuit, the Otter will do that.
perfect!! Thank you so much

Awesome!! THaks... I will check this one out. I did make an ESB a few times that was always stellar... I went with it and went nuts maybe redesigning the recipe
I was looking at the group recipe and the brew for Ukraine recipe. Both versions seem to sweeten with Munich/Cara Munich.
An ESB with the Fullers yeast is going to be sweet because the WLP002 doesn't attenuate worth a shit. The WLP004 will dry it out a little more. If you can't get liquid, you might try S-04. It isn't the same but will work if that is what you can get.

Back