Placement of CO2 tank???

cosmo65

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I built a keezer a couple of years ago and I placed the CO2 tank inside the keezer. Is this the best place for it, or should it be outside?
It seems to work fine, but I do get a lot of foamy beer during warm weather. Does cold CO2 have anything to do with foamy beer?

I built a keezer a couple of years ago and I placed the CO2 tank inside the keezer. Is this the best place for it, or should it be outside?
It seems to work fine, but I do get a lot of foamy beer during warm weather. Does cold CO2 have anything to do with foamy beer?
Co2 pressure is temp dependant. at 60F co2 is 750psi, at ~30F co2 is 500 psi.

Since you serve at 12psi, it makes zero difference

Thanks for the reply...

Well, based on my little experience, if you have beer pipe out the refrigerator and even the tap....on hot days,the 2 or 3 first beer are foamy, time for everything to get cold .....but if you don t use straight behind and wait too long ....same same, couple of first beer really foamy ... Hope that help

Well, based on my little experience, if you have beer pipe out the refrigerator and even the tap....on hot days,the 2 or 3 first beer are foamy, time for everything to get cold .....but if you don t use straight behind and wait too long ....same same, couple of first beer really foamy ... Hope that help
Really has nothing to do with the co2 though. Its just pressure to carbonate and push the beer out.

Really has nothing to do with the co2 though. Its just pressure to carbonate and push the beer out.
I agree but every time we don t use the tap for a while, again high temperature, needs 2 really foamy beer to become cold and deliver proper beer

I agree but every time we don t use the tap for a while, again high temperature, needs 2 really foamy beer to become cold and deliver proper beer
Then you should install a small fan to cool the tower

I don't disagree with that. Taps and lines that are outside the kegerator warm up and it will foam.

Location of co2 tank doesn't cause it.

Like this;
You can make one with a pc fan
Thanks for all the replies. I have one pc fan inside the keezer It runs constantly. It's mounted in the corner on the collar. I have my temperature controller set to 36F. I still get some freezing at the bottom of the keezer around the edges of the bottom. I think maybe I need another fan to circulate twice as much air. That might prevent some freezing and keep it cooler at the top. Any thoughts?
Keeping the temperature sensor in one place is not easy either. I try to keep in hanging toward the center of the box down to about 3/4 of the depth of the keezer. Any tips again are greatly appreciated. How should I place or attach the temperature probe?

Thanks for all the replies. I have one pc fan inside the keezer It runs constantly. It's mounted in the corner on the collar. I have my temperature controller set to 36F. I still get some freezing at the bottom of the keezer around the edges of the bottom. I think maybe I need another fan to circulate twice as much air. That might prevent some freezing and keep it cooler at the top. Any thoughts?
Keeping the temperature sensor in one place is not easy either. I try to keep in hanging toward the center of the box down to about 3/4 of the depth of the keezer. Any tips again are greatly appreciated. How should I place or attach the temperature probe?
I attach my temp sensor to a keg. Bungee cord and a thin piece of styrofoam.

If you point the fan up the tower it would really help.
Put a glass of water on the bottom of the keezer where it freezes and take a temperature reading from a known calibrated thermometer after an hour . You can move the glass to different corners to see temp fluctuations., I always waited a hour after moving the glass. Then adjust your temp controller on the keezer.

You may find the keezer temp a lot colder than your probe

my taps are in the fridge and the first beer out of that tap still pours foam, in that case I just pour a foam beer set it aside then pour mine, the foam beer is your next with more added

The CO2 in the keg over the beer will be equilibrated to the temperature of the keezer no matter where the cylinder is stored. New CO2 added from the cylinder replacing volume of CO2+beer tapped-out will enter from the pressurized cylinder and will become cold due to adiabatic expansion (whether or not the pressurized cylinder is hot or cold). So, in my opinion, there should be negligible difference where you store the cylinder. However, in warmer weather if your beer mugs are not chilled, pouring beer into the warmer mugs will produce more foam - that has been my experience. Try chilling your mugs/glasses and see if that doesn't improve things.

I agree with the other posts about temp, but I suspect having it so close inside the crowded chamber encourages short beer lines. You should have at least 6’ of beer line so that the pressure drop as you’re pouring is gradual, and it doesn’t get all saved up for the tap itself, creating foam there. Ideally you want enough pressure to move the beer, but not so much that it causes more than a 5psi drop at the tap itself. Also, full open tap as you’re pouring, but you know that already. ;)

Back