Using a diffrend hop for bitterness will change taste?

Mastoras007

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I wans wondering about bitternes hops, i'm trying to make a recipe as cheap and simple is posibe thats my recipe https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1505158/blonde-ale-
s I read today in the book how to brew, for reasons of economy I can use high AA hops at the beginning of the boil to reach the same bitterness in relation to another lower AA hop.
In this particular case I am thinking of replacing the Cascade 60min in half the quantity with a magnum
i will have the same bitternes acording to the calgullator, but my question is can this cause a big diffrend in taste of this spesific beer?
So what if i use magnum or any other hop for 60+ minutes of boil will lbe any big diffrend to the beer?
tia

It will have less effect than later additions, since most of the volatile oils, which contain alot of the flavor, are boiled off.
High AA hops are usually preferred, since you need less of them for the same IBU

Generally you use things like Columbus or magnum as bittering hops. They are high AA so they add alot of bitterness for a small amount of hops. Magnum is a noble hop where columbus is an American hop.

I personally use Columbus cryo which is 24.6AA. Personally prefer magnum, but i cant get it in cryo from my supplier.

Hello everyone
I wans wondering about bitternes hops, i'm trying to make a recipe as cheap and simple is posibe thats my recipe https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1505158/blonde-ale-
s I read today in the book how to brew, for reasons of economy I can use high AA hops at the beginning of the boil to reach the same bitterness in relation to another lower AA hop.
In this particular case I am thinking of replacing the Cascade 60min in half the quantity with a magnum
i will have the same bitternes acording to the calgullator, but my question is can this cause a big diffrend in taste of this spesific beer?
So what if i use magnum or any other hop for 60+ minutes of boil will lbe any big diffrend to the beer?
tia

This is common practice. Any flavor differences would be minor and in most cases probably not detectable. At least not to my palate.

Theanks for your replys
This is very interesting to learn, I drop my cost of beer more now
I can buy Magnum cheap here, same price cascade, and I need to use half of amount of cascade!
I think I will learn more New stuff reading the Palmer's book

You may try using https://beermaverick.com/hops/hop-comparison-tool/ to compare hops profiles

There will be slight difference. More spice and tropical fruits taste and aromas, less citrus and floral. It is not necessarily wrong.
But as you'll put less, there will be generally less taste and aroma, if you'll not put some by the end of boil.

from above tool
Cascade is a Dual-purpose hop from United States of America.: Descriptors include: grapefruit, floral, spicy, citrus & pine.
Magnum (GR) is a Bittering hop from Germany.: Descriptors include: apple, black pepper, clean, citrus, clean, floral & fruity.
2024-09-24 13_23_14-Hop Comparison Tool & Chart - Beer Maverick.png

green = Magnum, red = cascade

Last edited:
Yes, bitterness is bitterness, same from any hops.

Hop aroma and flavor in beer comes from late additions, and depends very much on the hops variety.

I almost always use magnum for bittering.
I would add that Magnum reputation for a clean bittering was true for my brews. Hops added at shutoff (hop stand) are the way to go for aroma and flavor. Wish someone told me this when I started. It is right behind getting a water test from Wards Labs as far as things that made a big difference.

really interesting post, thanks guys

ok so i understand this idea and 2 weeks ago i ordered some columbus hop , to start remplace expensive hops for the 60 minute addition...

so one question...
if bitterness is bitterness ;) , and i have 5 kilos of bart haas hops lublin to use, can i use this instead of columbus ??? ( not regarding quantity and cost , just i need to use it.......

thanks guys

I still think there are subtle differences between hops, even in bittering .
I agree. It's hard to describe, but I don't perceive the bitterness from Magnum or Bravo as similar to that of say Galaxy or CTZ, even if the IBU's calculate the same. The first two are similarly smooth while the last two feel sharper on the tongue. Could be my imagination.

I agree. It's hard to describe, but I don't perceive the bitterness from Magnum or Bravo as similar to that of say Galaxy or CTZ, even if the IBU's calculate the same. The first two are similarly smooth while the last two feel sharper on the tongue. Could be my imagination.
I don't think it is. Bitter with ekg vs magnum. You need alot more ekg to pull off the same IBU, it doesn't taste the same

really interesting post, thanks guys

ok so i understand this idea and 2 weeks ago i ordered some columbus hop , to start remplace expensive hops for the 60 minute addition...

so one question...
if bitterness is bitterness ;) , and i have 5 kilos of bart haas hops lublin to use, can i use this instead of columbus ??? ( not regarding quantity and cost , just i need to use it.......

thanks guys
Yes, but the differences, as noted, are subtle. You certainly should try those hops and see what you think.

Yes, but the differences, as noted, are subtle. You certainly should try those hops and see what you think.
yes , i m trying and let see , two motueka pale ale smash beer , one columbus at 60 min and one lublin at 60 minutes....this beer with full motueka was just amazing.

Back