Problems with online brewing supplies

Plymouth Backyporch Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I placed an order with an online brewstore on July 27th. Never heard anything after several days and emailed to get an update. They responded and said they were having labor and supply issues but would get it out in 4-5 days. After that time nothing, so I emailed again. Then was told that the computer systems were being changed and there were still supply issues that might take weeks to straighten out. I decided to cancel the order. I have used this retailer when they used to have the brick and mortar store and when they went entirely online. I never had problems before. It seems that many of the online websites are very similar so I suspect they are all owned by the same company. I have two questions, have other people been experiencing similar problems, and are there any suggestions for an online retailer that continues to work well?

Thanks in advance for any insights or help, Mike

Who is this site so we can all avoid it, lol.

Brew rite is my go to if I need something that my local store doesn't have

I hesitate to say because they have been really good up to this point. To make it more confusing after I canceled the order they took out one of the grain types I had ordered and shipped the rest of my order. They didn't make it clear to me that they were only missing one item in my order and obviously didn't follow my instructions to cancel the entire order. I can still use all the items but I will not have the entire grain bill for my recipe. The online store I have used in Adventures in Homebrewing and true to the name this experience has been an adventure. Thanks for the recommendation of Brew Rite. Their website is clearly different from the others so I suspect it is independent of those other sites.

I hesitate to say because they have been really good up to this point. To make it more confusing after I canceled the order they took out one of the grain types I had ordered and shipped the rest of my order. They didn't make it clear to me that they were only missing one item in my order and obviously didn't follow my instructions to cancel the entire order. I can still use all the items but I will not have the entire grain bill for my recipe. The online store I have used in Adventures in Homebrewing and true to the name this experience has been an adventure. Thanks for the recommendation of Brew Rite. Their website is clearly different from the others so I suspect it is independent of those other sites.
Never had an Issue with them. They are in WI, so sith be relatively close to you

What state are you in? I'm sure there's a local that would be happy to be your supplier. Small guys are good guys....they have to be!

I hesitate to say because they have been really good up to this point.
If I had to guess, it's Northern Brewer/Midwest Supplies (which owns Adventures in Homebrewing). They used to be so good, I went to both stores and ordered online. Rarely went anywhere else and they were the largest supplier of homebrew products in the US. Now it's so bad, I can't see them in business for very long. Kind of sad.

Brewrite is really good.

Yep, you are correct. Adventures had two stores near me and I loved going into the stores to pick up my supplies. Great people in the stores who were always very helpful. I suspect that they were so good that they limited anyone's ability to exist here in the market on the west-side of Detroit/Ann Arbor. When they abruptly closed and went entirely online, it left very little/nothing in the way of brick and mortar stores within reasonable distance for this area. We have one party store that carries supplies but it is not managed well at all and I don't even consider it for ingredients anymore. I am all with the idea of going into the bricks and mortar stores. You not only get the expert assistance, the enjoyment of planning a trip to the store cannot be replaced with the online experience. Thanks for the suggestions for the good online suppliers.

I was a Northern user as well until they closed the doors. Now there are no suppliers in the Minneapolis area. I haven't ordered from them in a while , sad to hear they are doing that poorly.

I have 2 great stores near here, but when I have to go online I use MoreBeer.

Early in my brewing, I ordered from Northern brewer. Of late, they are very slow in processing orders. They had a 1 gal kit sale for $15 so I ordered 4. I had to contact them after 5 days to get an update. It took another 8 days to get to me. Morebeer.com is my go to.

I believe that AiHB in Ypsi was bought out by More Beer a few years ago and closed their store. I think(?) More Beer and Northern Brewing are owned by the same company and I have also had problems with stuff they say they have in stock - but the actually do not. They take your money and then take weeks to ship your stuff - not a pleasant experience.

If you are in Michigan, try Hop Craft in Saginaw! They have a $5 flat shipping fee for most stuff within Michigan. Their prices are fair and when I want a 50lb bag of base malt I simply drive there to pick it up (cheaper than shipping). They are friendly and honest about what they have, or can get. Recommended!

I believe that AiHB in Ypsi was bought out by More Beer a few years ago and closed their store. I think(?) More Beer and Northern Brewing are owned by the same company and I have also had problems with stuff they say they have in stock - but the actually do not. They take your money and then take weeks to ship your stuff - not a pleasant experience.

If you are in Michigan, try Hop Craft in Saginaw! They have a $5 flat shipping fee for most stuff within Michigan. Their prices are fair and when I want a 50lb bag of base malt I simply drive there to pick it up (cheaper than shipping). They are friendly and honest about what they have, or can get. Recommended!
More beer is an independent operator. They are not affiliated with northern Brewer.
https://www.morebeer.com/about/history

And adventures in homebrewing was bought by northern brewer, same as Austin homebrew.
There was also AB/Inbev buying and selling back Nirthern brewer. It was really crazy there for awhile

And adventures in homebrewing was bought by northern brewer, same as Austin homebrew.
There was also AB/Inbev buying and selling back Nirthern brewer. It was really crazy there for awhile
Got it - I knew it was one of them that bought AiHB. A pity, they were a useful local source!

I was a Northern user as well until they closed the doors. Now there are no suppliers in the Minneapolis area. I haven't ordered from them in a while , sad to hear they are doing that poorly.

Same here in Milwaukee. The employee's there were always friendly and helpful. Too bad they got rid of what was working well and kept the part that wasn't. Fortunately a new LHBS has opened in the area. It's a small shop so they don't have the volume buying power that NB had but, it's nice to have a local home brew shop again.

Who is this site so we can all avoid it, lol.

Brew rite is my go to if I need something that my local store doesn't have
The actual name of the store you are referring to is Rite Brew, located in Little Chute, WI. I purchased from them multiple times over the years and they are extremely reliable and great prices. It's the only online store I buy from. I highly recommend them.

Atlantic Brew Supply is another place that sells online and ships nation wide. They sell grains down to the ounce so you dont have to buy pre-measured grain by the pound, they mill for you - double or single. Their shipping is fairly quick. They dont ship orders with liquid yeast on Fridays so that the yeast doesnt sit in a hot warehouse over the weekend. If there is a reason for a hold up on your order with them its usually because they are out of stock of something and they will call you! If they see something unusual on your order like maybe a mistake you made with an ingredient, they will call and ask if you meant to do that because they are homebrewers too and some have even worked in pro breweries! They really know their stuff and are eager to work for you. Sometimes I even get a personalized note on my invoice like "Cheers!" or "Thank you!" Those folks are the greatest.

Hello all,

I placed an order with an online brewstore on July 27th. Never heard anything after several days and emailed to get an update. They responded and said they were having labor and supply issues but would get it out in 4-5 days. After that time nothing, so I emailed again. Then was told that the computer systems were being changed and there were still supply issues that might take weeks to straighten out. I decided to cancel the order. I have used this retailer when they used to have the brick and mortar store and when they went entirely online. I never had problems before. It seems that many of the online websites are very similar so I suspect they are all owned by the same company. I have two questions, have other people been experiencing similar problems, and are there any suggestions for an online retailer that continues to work well?

Hi, Mike, I found a great site for ordering brewing supplies,< Hobbyhomebrew.com> great prices and great service. Located in Illinois, southeast of St. Louis
Hello all,

Back