What beer did I make?

Brewer #415673

Premium Member
Reaction score
What beer did I make?

I was trying to make a Best Bitter though I’m not sure where I landed, maybe closer to a dark mild?

When I was ready for brew day I realized I only had 10L crystal instead of 40L-60L. To make it a bit darker I bumped up my biscuit from .25lb to .5lb and my chocolate from 1.5oz to 3oz.

It tastes wonderful, great malt character, chocolate roast, biscuity with a sharp bitterness at the end. Just not the original plan

5.5 Gal 4.8% 37 IBU 13 SRM

8lbs marris otter 1lb American caramel 10L .5lb biscuit 3oz chocolate

.5 northern brewer 11%AA (90 min) .5 uk fuggle 5.6 (30 min) .5 uk fuggle 5.6 (10 min)

I punched this into the software I use an it just seems to be a variation that falls within the 11B Best Bitter range.
Except that the ABV is slightly out of the range.
If it is a good beer, it is a good beer!

Based on S-04 yeast your original recipe data looks like this
1720874580456.png

Your edited version looks like this, again, just the ABV seems higher than the style
1720874718329.png

I punched this into the software I use an it just seems to be a variation that falls within the 11B Best Bitter range.
Except that the ABV is slightly out of the range.
If it is a good beer, it is a good beer!

Based on S-04 yeast your original recipe data looks like this
View attachment 29955

Your edited version looks like this, again, just the ABV seems higher than the style
View attachment 29956
Maybe an ESB? Those are just a bitter with higher abv

These are the specs on the ESB that I make from time to time, definitely falls in this range
I use some C60, wheat malt, and carafa III in this one as well as a pound of Lyles Golden Syrup.
(edit: 1/2 pound of Lyles actually)
1720877225757.png

Last edited:
Does it matter?
If it tastes good, it is good, regardless of style :)

Well, it IS beer. Style a lot like a best bitter, maybe a better bitter? If you like it, call it a happy accudent.

Your substitutions were not very dramatic, so it could reasonably be expected to come out close to what you started out making.

It is pretty damn close to an ESB. Some do use just a little chocolate in them. I think Fullers does too.
The one I made was very simple. I didn't want to screw with a bunch of crap, so I went Otter and English Crystal (SRM 70ish)., Fuggle and WLP002.

Back