Did I move to secondary too soon?

Msquared

Premium Member
Reaction score
Our brewing group did a Belgian Quad at a commercial brewery. Everyone buys a carboy or 2 of wort does their own thing and brings it back around November to taste and compare. Beer had an og of 1.092, yeast nutrients were added and it was oxygenated on site (I also oxygenated prior to pitching starter). Other than several krausen overflow nothing spectacular. Beer starter was pitched May 26th. Airlock/blowoff hasn’t had any activity for several days despite warming up to 22C.
Decided to get the beer off the trub and go into secondary fermenter. While transferring the beer I did a gravity with a hydrometer. It was 1.038.
Will this beer ferment out if I just leave it in the secondary fermenter?

Looks like low attenuation.
What yeast did you use?

Two things

1) secondary is not necessary. Just a Chance to introduce oxygen and infection

2) definately not done. Attenuation is only 42% that will be really sweet.

Let it ride a bit longer. Do you know what temp you mashed the wort at?

Should be enough yeast left in solution to finish it up, may want to give it some extra time.

I agree with not transferring the beer to the secondary, too many issues with that older method. Gravity readings prior to transferring or bottling are needed to know the progress of the fermentation.

Sounds like you have a stalled fermentation. Some Belgian strains are notorious for this. Often they will stall and start back up again. It’s thought to be caused by the temperature peaking and then dropping after fermentation tapers off. The drop in temperature causes the yeast to stall, keeping the temperature up helps with this situation. I’m not a Belgian guy, but I think that’s your problem. How do you get them going again? Raising the temperature may help, time is often the best solution or repitching yeast.

Good luck! You have until November to get the gravity down.

Two things

Moved to secondary to free up a fermonster. I know this brew will be sitting there for months so now it’s in a glass carboy.

Two things

I moved it to secondary to free up a fermonster. I tasted the sample that I used to test the gravity. It was like someone added alcohol to regular wort but it also had some of the belgian characteristics. If it finishes up it should be delicious.

I moved it to secondary to free up a fermonster. I tasted the sample that I used to test the gravity. It was like someone added alcohol to regular wort but it also had some of the belgian characteristics. If it finishes up it should be delicious.
Well, 59% attenuation so far, but yeah that's certainly not finished with M47.

Maybe boost the temp again, as HVM said. With that yeast you could safely go to 24-25C.

Good luck.

Moved to secondary to free up a fermonster. I know this brew will be sitting there for months so now it’s in a glass carboy.
ok, so more aging storage than a secondary. I do that to

Well I would have expected activity in an airlock with an SG of 1.038... . So yes fermentation could have stalled but transferring it may have helped. If it is possible to take a hydrometer reading from your glass carboy then you might consider doing that after 48 hours. If SG has moved from 1.038 then you know the yeast is still active and fermentation should complete.

That's the only reason I ever use a "secondary" glass carboy.

M47 from Mangrove Jack. Had a 1 litre starter

I wonder if a 2L starter would have been better. Maybe more yeast to start would have prevents a stall (if that is what happened). Just guessing here.

I've used M47 a number of times. Just dry yeast.
1/2 pack for 10 litres.
No problem starting off and no stall.

The yeast does not like high temperatures though. I couldn't control them at one of my brews and it tasted terrible. Became slightly drinksble after 6 months, but just slightly

What is the expected FG

I agree, no need to secondary, I stopped years ago and yes just wait.

Back