Beer yeast for fluctuating winter temperatures

Zambi

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Simple sort of question
Is there a yeast that works well over a wide range of cooler temperatures?
For summer: I got Voss kveik
But I am going into winter with big difference day/night temperature
(30-32 oC day / 8 -10 oC night)

I will be able to brew using my fermentation fridge
But I wouldn't mind a yeast that can handle some temp fluctuations in the cooler range (so I can use my fermentation cooler box)

Fermentis 34/70 might work, although your range is outside the ideal temps for that yeast.

I can't think of any yeast that would be happy with a 30 to 8 to 30 to 8 swing.
I was afraid that would be the case.
Those are outside temps though. Looking at wrapping the fermenter and putting it inside a coolerbox.
Meaning the temperature swings wouldn't be as extreme.
Not too sure what I can maintain inside the cooler though and how much it would vary.
And unfortunately I have no reliable thermometer that I can use to check

If it is insulated, can you use a hairdyer for a minute or two when it gets cold, and then seal it back up? That is what I do in January. My refrigerator is in the garage. I can cool, but i don't have a wrap for heat. I open the door just wide enough to get the hairdryer in, run it for a minute or maybe a little more, and close the door. It does bump up the temp a few degrees for a few hours in the refrigerator.

Ain't got no hair dryer ;)

I suppose the best way to go is to put a similar amount of water inside the cooler and get a thermometer to check the temperature range.

It's just to be able to brew 2 batches at the same time as I do have a inkbird, little fridge and a heat pad.

M54 seems to tolerate temp swings decently, it's repackaged Mauribrew 497 which I've seen it advertised as having a temp range from 12-30C

That sounds promising!
I actually think I got a pack in stock

Your air temperature is fluctuating, but the beer is a large thermal mass that will maintain a relatively stable temperature if it's in an insulated container. Just as a wild ass guess, your average temperature would be 18-20C (65-68F), maybe a little lower. Build a chamber or just used a heavier box and let it rip. There are a host of yeasts that will work at that temperature.

I use a chamber for outside from fall to spring. Sometimes the temperatures during the spring and fall are between 0 and 16C (32 to 60F), the chamber maintains a nice even temp. The beer itself is used as a thermal mass and can maintain a nice even temp of 9C (48F). If the temp goes too high, I place a milk jug (4L) of frozen water. If it gets too low, I used the same container fill with hot tap water. It's pretty easy and works well.

The same chamber has a 100 watt heater in it and can maintain 16C (60F) easily when the outside temperature is -34C (-30F). My best lagers are made in the winter.

Oh man,
I wouldn't know what to do if the temperature would ever get that low here :)
All is relative of course
We got no central heating.
In fact we just got a cold temperature warning, which in my case means: temps to go down to 6-8 oC minimum
Day still at 27 or so.
But it's a general warning, and I'm in the hottest part of the country

Big swing in temperatures there. Day time temperatures are ideal for Kveik. Is there anyway you could use the light bulb in the paint can trick through the night keep the temperature up? Or some other kind of heater? What about adding decent size stones heated by the camp fire inside your fermentation chamber to add some heat to help get through the night?

Big swing in temperatures there.

Double post...

I got limited power at night due to being fully on solar...
I'll just stick with my little fermentation fridge and consecutive batches.
Patience apparently is key
(I should not have let myself run out of brews and now having to replenish)

I've used Lutra without any controls and it had no issues bouncing in the same ranges you describe. (Our winters are short and sporadic. We can have <40 one day, and 80+ the next) Any fast swings even of that magnitude are unlikely to do more than make Kveik slightly pause or yawn. As noted above, your beer itself is a thermal mass that resists quick temp changes, so it isn't bouncing around as harshly anyway. I have a Lutra Pale Ale holding just below 40℉ right now trying to drop it clear after several weeks, and it is *still* burping occasionally! Really. That yeast is the Honey Badger. It just doesn't care.

Sounds like it is worth a try!
I may just see if Voss can handle this as well as I won't be able to get lutra for a while

Drop the Voss in at 35c and wrap in a blanket and let it ride. The Fermat will be done quick and the temp swings won’t be a problem, for the final product. Just wait 10 days and package

Drop the Voss in at 35c and wrap in a blanket and let it ride. The Fermat will be done quick and the temp swings won’t be a problem, for the final product. Just wait 10 days and package
Yeah, that's my normal process, so just going to try as I am fully set up for this.

Can you insulate that living crap out of everything and try a monestary yeast? Some of those on the cool side go Englishy. That is one I was using with the hairdryer. I have 5 gallons though, and it would take a much shorter time to change temps on a smaller batch.
I really want to do a French Saison for our summer, but getting the yeast I want might be an issue.

Last edited:
Monastey yeast?
As any of the Belgian abbaye's?
It's a very insulated set up. Big igloo cooler box, fermenter wrapped in duvets inside that cooler box and the lid closed.
I use a blow of tube as I can't close the lid otherwise

I will start some experiments. Got a batch going on T58 with temp control.
Maybe I just use that trub and see what happens when I put it in the cooler box.
Or maybe not, because that means my fermentation fridge is actually free

Back