Disparity between recipe builder and calculator

Striike

Trial Member
Reaction score
I cannot figure out what I did to my profile to make this happen? When I build a recipe, even a new one, it is showing a much higher OG than I can achieve. See photo.
Note the Calculator gives me a better number. My actual with this recipe is 1.050.
Screenshot 2024-04-15 152605.png

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1375429/fresh-squished-ipa

I cannot figure out what I did to my profile to make this happen? When I build a recipe, even a new one, it is showing a much higher OG than I can achieve. See photo.
Note the Calculator gives me a better number. My actual with this recipe is 1.050.View attachment 29103

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1375429/fresh-squished-ipa
I am speculating, but I suspect your brewhouse efficiency (which seems otherwise reasonable at 73%) is set too high.

Can you describe your equipment?

I am speculating, but I suspect your brewhouse efficiency (which seems otherwise reasonable at 73%) is set too high.

Can you describe your equipment?
Not following your question. Both the calculator and the recipe builder are set to 73%? My issue is the difference. But just in case:
I have a 20g Spike trio bottom drain HERMS setup.

Not following your question. Both the calculator and the recipe builder are set to 73%? My issue is the difference. But just in case:
I have a 20g Spike trio bottom drain HERMS set

Can I have a link to the recipe so I can look at the settings?

It's definitely really odd- but I can recreate it in my own account. I did see that your water needs were really strange when I looked at the quick water requirements generated in that recipe:
1713366913530.png

Do you really have that much loss? Something is really wonky with those calculations, but in my account it looks good.

It's definitely really odd- but I can recreate it in my own account. I did see that your water needs were really strange when I looked at the quick water requirements generated in that recipe:
View attachment 29117

Do you really have that much loss? Something is really wonky with those calculations, but in my account it looks good.
Losses are correct. It’s a 20g kettle, so I can do 15g batches. I’m doing small 5g batches trying to dial it in.
When you say it looks correct, what is your estimated OG going to the fermenter?

Hey, from what I can see it's due to the different efficiency and batch volume targets being mixed. The recipe editor is using 73% for the 5.5 gallon batch size, and the way the calculator is filled in it's using 73% "ending kettle" at 7.08 gallons. This would equate to approximately 93% efficiency without the postboil volume loss.

Last edited:
Hey, from what I can see it's due to the different efficiency and batch volume targets being mixed. The recipe editor is using 73% for the 5.5 gallon batch size, and the way the calculator is filled in it's using 73% "ending kettle" at 7.08 gallons. This would equate to approximately 93% efficiency without the postboil volume loss.
This seems to have fixed it. I took out the kettle losses in my profile, and now it’s correct. Appreciate the help.
Now to try and contact Brewers Friend, as their recipe builder is not working correctly.
IMG_0013.jpeg

This seems to have fixed it. I took out the kettle losses in my profile, and now it’s correct. Appreciate the help.
Now to try and contact Brewers Friend, as their recipe builder is not working correctly.
View attachment 29121

We ARE Brewer's Friend. The Software Manager, the Admin, and Customer Support have all responded on how to fix the error in your entries. This is the Brewer's Friend forum, and we've answered your queries. The support email you sent also addressed the problems with the data being inputted and the solution was given.

The Recipe Builder is working properly when the entries are done correctly. Thank you for contacting us, and we wish you all the best.

Back